Saturday 9 February 2008

Wednesday 30th January 2008 - Nine Black Alps

Night Four - Manchester Academy Three - 30th January 2008 - Nine Black Alps

Well, it was time to head out to event number four of five - Nine Black Alps, local boys from a Manchester scene we all knew and loved in it's time. Despite this band's relative newness, given their grunge influence and Mancunian roots, it was impossible not to feel a little like I was strolling into a nostalgic evening.

The opening act whose name I forget were so utterly fucking terrible that I won't bother writing them; instead I will just pray for a disease to strike down their vocal cords, guitars, and drums and whatever other bullshit they were trying and failing to play.

Nine Black Alps lived up to their promise - familiar songs, easy listening, despite volume levels and enthusiasm from a crowd that made me wonder whether the good bar staff at the Academy hadn't spiked the water with musical M.S.G. in order to make otherwise mediocre music sound really good to everyone else. It's the only thing I can think of as I suspect I was the only person in the room not under the influence of alcohol, pot or something stronger still. I say this, because as much I would like to like a band like Nine Black Alps (they are after all, local boys come good), I just don't seem to get it. Their music, whilst being professionally laid on and in good spirit, already feels out of date and out of time. This is maybe why they are playing to Academy 3 in spite of nationwide recognition and why they aren't keeping that recognition despite the best wishes of all around the scene.

I guess this was a surprising low-point of my five days on the Mancunian musical road. I expected more to be honest, than a drunken evening for others of jumping up and down, crowd surfing (which in a venue the size of Academy 3 - I have to say - grow up a bit kids!), and lager chucking. Don't get me wrong, I love crowd-surfing and lager chucking as much as the next Manc, but fuck, it was just so tired in this room.

Best wishes Nine Black Alps, but come on - raise your bar a bit please.

No comments: