Sunday 23 December 2007

Shrine To Fast Goodbyes

All my life I wonder about music. Where it's coming from, and where it's taking me. And I worry about it; it's the most massive individual influence upon my life. I worry that what is to come is not going to be as good as what has already graced my life with beautiful sounds and words that move my soul and encourage my freedom to mean more and more with each passing day.

And then I listen to Emily Haines. And I listen to a song called 'Shrine To Fast Goodbyes.' I urge you to dig it out and add it to your music collections. Every so often, we are given true beauty - that precious, delicate tenderness that makes your heart shudder. You're left moved, and grateful.

There are maybe a handful of artists with her gift. The only others I can think of with such a gift for this kind of tenderness in their music are Neil Young, Jenny Lewis and Jenny Owen Youngs.

Emily Haines - she is a shrine of delicate musical beauty.

No comments: