Monday 3 December 2007

A Snapshot Of What I Do On A Dull Monday Night

Well, it's Monday (alright, sorry I mentioned that tragic fact), but it will soon be Tuesday, so dry those tears dearie. Here's what I end up doing on a Monday night - writing to friends who are off having more fun than me in places like East Anglia (which for the Jade Goody worshipping morons reading this, ISN'T in Germany - if it was, they'd just send it back to us in a neatly wrapped parcel).

Instead of filtering what I wrote into a bloggy type write-up, I'll just paste the whole damned e-mail here that I sent to the Supreme Leader of Thunderfrogs blogspot:


Hiya "Supreme Leader Of The Thunderfrogs",

Hope you haven't got too much sand in your shoes down there! Anyhow, while you're off galavinting on the East Coast, I'm up here working mi balls off to bring us the best new sounds which you and others will undoubtedly claim to have heard of 15 years ago (thinking of the man who's CC'd into this e-mail Mr. Martin, King of the 'I heard it first' one-liner!!! lol)...an indie guru's job is a thankless one! lol

Here are my recommendedids:

http://www.plugawards.com

Go here, make your way to the voting section and listen to everything by pressing the twee dinky play button to the left of the artists' names. My personal highlights, apart from the obvious - Emily Haines (2 nominations - woo-hoo and a hearty hurrah!) and The Arcade Fire (37.4 nominations I think and justly deserved) are:

http://www.batforlashes.com/default.htm - sound really great and are that thing that is as rare as water in a waterless non-watering zone (or shit in a sandstorm) a British independant band with talent and appeal at the same time (they're from Brighton - so even though they're British, they're probably so desperate not to be that they drove as far south as they could and then set up a band) Go to their site and just listen damn it!!! lol

http://www.thewhiterabbits.com - now these Yankee boys are very interesting; almost like an American Coral (as in the band The Coral, not the stuff under the sea next to Australia).

Hope you enjoy - say hi to the nice people I met yesterday! Hope I see them all again soon. Oh, the Micra's back - shiny new left hand side on it and running sweetly, so you get to come home in your favourite matchbox.

In a bit Comrade,

Daniel

This is the life - Monday night, dossing around on the Internet, and finding the artistes who will hopefully be gracing my 2008 gigging schedule...roll on truckers!

No comments: